Monday, March 05, 2007

Ewoks. Must. Die

Friday night turned into a very early Saturday morning. A few hours of troubled sleep where the dream was green intersecting lines (sniper's lasers) with red moving circles (enemy indicators). Saturday morning became Saturday night. It amounted to about 20 hours of continuous game play. And still they come.

I haven't had such a great day of game play since I played From Russia with Love through twice in succession. But I think it affects your perspective. When I looked at the ceiling it seemed to be swirling in and out of focus. It was definitely breathing in and out. Definitely.

Four of the eight stats are now "Legendary" (highest), two others at "Elite" (2nd highest), with the remaining two stuck on "Green". Although my sniping and demolition skills show no sign of improving, I've learned a few things along the way.

Dagobah is is a great level for stormtroopers. Turn the number of enemies up to 500% and prepare to fight, fight, fight. Keep running from one enemy CTP to the next enemy CTP to rack up big points.

Endor, with its respawning AT-STs is best for Heavy Weapons or Engineers. As an Imperial Engineer with "Legendary" technician skill there is nothing that can hurt you once you get an AT-ST to cruise around in. Burn, ewoks, burn.

Hoth is good for sniping (although I'm not good at it). Dial down the number of bots. I've found that teams of 4 or 5 (rather than the usual 10) works well. Don't go to 3 or less, because they may respawn in the AT-AT if Imperial, or hop in the snowspeeders if Rebel, and then you'll never get them out. With 4 or 5, even if this happens you'll still have 2 or 3 targets always available.

Surprisingly with half or less the number of enemies to a full-blown game, there are more sniping opportunities. With fewer characters on the map friends don't steal your kills with front on assaults while you're lining up the head shot. Also with fewer characters, bots have fewer opportunities to sense enemies, and so remain motionless longer. It becomes a little more cat and mouse, as sniping should.

If you're Rebel, don't bring a tauntaun to an AT-AT fight.

2 Comments:

At March 06, 2007 5:39 AM, Blogger Dr Clam said...

It is pretty lame, I guess, but my favourite bit of the whole canon would have to be the ground battle on Hoth. While I could never hold my own under such conditions, I salute you, valiant defender of the Empire!

 
At March 06, 2007 8:33 AM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

What those rebels need is a good dose of old-fashioned discipline. Malingerers and troublemakers, the lot of them.

For me the Hoth battle comes in second. The attack on the Death Star in IV is first. I'll never forget the magic of seeing that as child, and I think it's held up pretty well over the years.

Third would be the Darth Maul 2 on 1 lightsaber duel. I think it is the only redeeming feature of the second series. I re-watched Attack of the Clones about a year ago, and the third time around my opinion dropped even more. I'm not sure I could ever re-watch Revenge of the Sith without beer and Ted or Jimbo present.

In fact, while I do like The Empire Strikes Back, all in all I would have satisfied if it had finished with Star Wars, way back in 1977.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home