Monday, March 09, 2009

U2 3D

I'd thought that I'd missed U2 3D, or that it had passed Japan by. But last week Pixie and I were talking about bands and the conversation got around to U2 and whatever happened to that 3D movie of theirs. A google later and to our surprise we found out it was starting on the weekend. Five of us went on Sunday afternoon.

It was an experience that left me moved. For one thing the 3D lent the show an almost tangibility. There were times I felt like reaching out to see if I really could touch someone, or swaying back as Adam Clayton's bass scythed the air just in front of my eyes, or even a jarring feeling when the blackness beyond the edge of the screen made me realize the audience members holding up their hands in front of me weren't sitting in the theatre, but in a stadium in Brazil.

And for a change the use of 3D was sublime rather than the typical "axes being thrown at the camera". Band members faded in and out seamlessly at different depths, the use of CG and other out of camera tricks was fairly minimal, and when used was mostly to show some other part of the show that was currently out of the lens. Kudos to the directors for their restraint.

Finally, having seen the same show as part of the Japan leg of the "Vertigo" tour, it gave me a completely different perspective of the show. "Vertigo" had been the best concert I'd ever seen, but I'd seen it from about as high and as far away as one could be in the Saitama Super Arena, and still be in Saitama. This time I was floating right before, next to, above, and on the stage. It felt like being right up there live with the band. I was so wrapped up in the experience that "Where the Streets have No Name" left me with tears in my eyes.

If you have a chance to see U2 3D on the big screen and in 3D, cancel any other plans you've made. Sorry Quantum of Solace, as much as I still love you, this is without a doubt the best film I've seen this year.

1 Comments:

At March 16, 2009 1:22 PM, Blogger Nato said...

Sadly, I think I may have missed it here in Sydney. Oh well, have to console myself with 2D-Watchmen, Monsters vs. Aliens and my copy of No Line on the Horizon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home