Monday, January 24, 2005

Cuisine of the Surrender Monkeys

As predicted the weekend was spent taking some things out of boxes, trying to find a place for them, putting them in a place, and then finding something else that needs to be put there. The number of coat hangers two people can accumulate is astounding.

Saturday night we went out to a French restaurant in Tama. It is across the road from a great bakery we sometimes frequent on the weekend for the excellent pastries and coffee. Neither of us had been to this restaurant, and we’d so often talked about what the food might be like that it was decided to finally try it. I was really looking forward to it.

The chef was Japanese, but after an apprenticeship in Japan he’d studied in France for 5 years. We learnt this from his wife who was quite the little talker, along with being the waitress for our evening of dining. With their daughter as another waitress, and son who was out the back in the kitchen, it was a real family restaurant.

It was also the greatest meal I’ve had in a long time. It was on a different plane from other meals that I would have talked about as good. This was not like the, “Tony Romas do great pork ribs”, kind of experience. This was the kind of meal where the waitress explains the ingredients of the sauce, and the chef comes out after the meal for a chinwag.

For you mouth-watering pleasure it was:

Salmon Carpaccio.
Foie Gras with Pureed Apple Sauce.
Snapper and Scallops in Butter Sauce.
Beef with Cognac Sauce and Broccoli and Mashed Potato.
Dessert & Coffee

I weep for the peasants.

3 Comments:

At January 25, 2005 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weep for me, Winston! I'd like to try that place sometime.

Allan

 
At January 25, 2005 2:36 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Doesn't sound like you've paid an appropriately high price for your months of hermit-like slackness. You rotter.

So what was for dessert?

 
At January 25, 2005 6:29 PM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Then allow me to taunt you further boys, for I forgot to mention the bread. Those tasty heated baguette slices that were all you could eat, and so I did. Were the dinner a buffet, I would suspect the proprietor of trying to cheat me out of the good stuff by tricking me into filling up on THE bread. But it was a set course dinner. All courses were coming, whether one had already filled up on bread or not! Left in a win/win situation, I chose the greater good (for me that is).

Are there any side effects to consuming just coffee and heated baguettes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home