Thursday, September 08, 2005

A novel way to pass the time

Ugghh, what a terrible pun.

Nothing of interest to report, but Mari demanded a blog update, so I've grasped for these.

Continuing with my trend of reading Crichton clones I spent the weekend with Dan Brown's Angels & Demons. A most unlikely turn of events surrounds the Vatican during the Conclave. The amusement factor alone kept me reading to the end. Now I've just got to get through The Da Vinci Code.

This pair of airport novels came into my possession after Mari said that she wanted to read The Da Vinci Code. Foolishly acting on this I went out and bought her it and Angels & Demons. She read the first page of Angels and Demons, realized that this was not a light and fluffy romance, and gave up on them both. Thus they passed back into my hands.

Coincidently I was watching a new Japanese TV drama the other day. The main female character was also reading Angels & Demons, in the English version. It was funny to watch, as the scene was the first meeting between her and the male protagonist. She is meant to be like a picture of feminine beauty to him, as just like a picture she wasn't moving her eyes across the page as she was "reading". It's the way with Japanese TV dramas that the actors are often models or even magazine idols, and have little talent besides the ability to smile sweetly. The shows also often want to have some 'international flavour' to them, and so Enlgish appears in a slightly forced context. I wouldn't be surprised if she never utters any English during the entire series. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not watching to find out.

In other novel news, while looking for Potter info to interest my student's with for next semester I came across the Tenacious Murry D. Enjoy his wit.

1 Comments:

At September 11, 2005 12:37 PM, Blogger Nato said...

To call Angels and Demons and the Da Vinci Code novels is like calling Big Brother a TV program. I think your Matthew Reilly Scarecrow/Area 7/Ice Station parallel is closer to the mark. It's like he got a flowchart of events and just changed the names of characters and places. Deja Vu was never more felt...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home