Thursday, March 22, 2007

Memoirs

Finished two books this week. Both were memoirs. One was more fictional than the other. I'll leave you to decide which was which.

Flashman's Lady is another in the Flashman series. As usual it was thoroughly anti-PC, and thoroughly hilarious.

Grinding It Out is the autobiography of Ray Kroc, the businessman who saw the potential of the McDonald's brothers' hamburger. As I've no interest in McDonald's or its products I've no idea why I picked it from amongst the Patricia Cornwells or Dan Browns that covered the bookshelf. But it was a really entertaining read. Especially Kroc's pre-McDonald's life. He didn't get into the hamburger business until he was in his 50s. Up until then he'd worked or was working several different jobs (paper cup seller/ real estate agent / pianist) during the depression and after. And this slice-of-life of the times was simply fascinating. I'd recommend the first half of the book to any GM who wants to get a feel for the era for their next gangbusters campaign. I'd recommend the second half to anyone who wants to found their own business empire.

My favorite quote - A man who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At March 23, 2007 8:11 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I must get back and reread the Flashman series, once I have finished with the Aubrey/Maturin books. I've overlooked at least a couple of Flashie's exploits, and they are great fun.

Flashman's Lady might well be my favourite, although it is hard to go past the amusing maltreatment of Otto von Bismarck and the wholsesale plot theft of Royal Flash...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home