Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Fooled You

Obviously rumors or my backness are greatly exaggerated.

I now have internet on at my new place, but no computer to use it with. This leaves me with the option of stealing work’s time, which recently has been impossible due to much workidness. And as I really should be doing something else more workified right now, let’s get this over with.

A lot has happened, but I’m not sure if it’s such interesting reading for your good selves.
I went to 2 weddings in the one day a couple of weeks ago. The first one’s service was Christian, but in Japanese (“Amen”, however, remained “Amen”). It was interesting because the service was understandable for those even without much Japanese simply because it copies the service in English. The priest even had the same intonation as an English-speaking priest. Stand up now, sit down now, vows now, reading of goat entrails now.

The second was a full-on Japanese service with costumes and bells. And the reception was very Japanese, with the couple changing clothes twice, many speeches, candle lighting, cake cutting, the whole works. It was the second time for me to see this style, and it’s really interesting – these disparate elements are put together with the formality and timing of a military tattoo. The already long day extended into beer and karaoke for the late evening. The next day was slow.

Recently I’ve become interested again in Torg. The mailing list for the game has had some great debates (that usually end in flame wars. sigh) about fundamentals of the game. It’s a shame that really good ideas get lost amid the egos, but I’ve taken some of the elements away and opened up the old rules once more. I’m half forming a long term plan to one day (maybe in the New Year) look at a game based on its excellent rules. Much like Pulp-Fiction based on Masterbook that I once GMed. I’m not interested in playing out the Possibility Wars again. The canvas is simple too big, and it just wouldn’t be the same without Dave co-GMing. But a smaller mythos might suit me just fine. No promises.

3 Comments:

At October 04, 2006 8:46 PM, Blogger Dr Clam said...

It is cool about the intonation. We went to an Assyrian wedding some years ago, which was entirely in non-english, but it was still straightforward to follow what was going on...

 
At October 10, 2006 8:17 PM, Blogger Dr Clam said...

You're not this 'Abdul Winston' who's trying to sell me a replica Rolex, are you? Because I'm not buying.

 
At October 13, 2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Re Torgliness

I'd be in on it. I'm not doing anything better this New Year's Eve :)

That said, you may be interested in some newer pulp-alternatives, such as Spirit of the Century (http://www.evilhat.com/?spirit). You will note the presence of an intelligent ape on the cover, which was all that was required to enthrall me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home