Thursday, July 26, 2007

The God Truthiness I

While waiting to read the book that everyone else is reading, I read a book everyone else has already read.

The God Delusion is Richard Dawkins' arguement against religion. A little while ago Dr. Clam in a series of blogs had not much good to say about it. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dr. Clam I read the paperback edition, and in the new Preface to it Mr Dawkins answers some of your complaints. I'm not saying you'll find them satisfying. It's not worth buying the book for them, but if you're interested then spend a few minutes reading it in the bookstore.

I did like his answer to "You can't criticize religion without a detailed analysis of learned books of theology." Mr Dawkins' doesn't believe one iota in religon. Not a one. And his book is written from that perspective. He doesn't want to engage in debate that assumes God is real, for he believes the onus of proof first comes from those who believe in God. Once the mere existence of God is proven, then the debate about angels on pin heads can begin.

And this "Prove it" stance challenges believers. It's very in your face. Personally I don't have a problem with it, but that's because I'm not a believer. And it's one of the reasons I'm not a believer. I just don't see anything there that makes me believe it to be true. At step one Dawkins' isn't concerned with questions about why God exists, where He exists, when He exists, etc. Just, "Does He exist?" God can't be seen, felt, tasted, measured, or weighed so this puts God into Dawkins' "extremely doubtful" basket.

I think it's a pretty important first step. If you can't find it, why do you think it exists?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At July 26, 2007 5:39 PM, Blogger emmajeans said...

Oooh, I just went to a day-long workshop on this today, and I am dying to read it now. The Prof who did the workshop said that this one is much meatier, and addresses more theological questions than the blind watchmaker or the selfish gene.
I will blog a bit more about this over at 'strangest dream', but if you are into this topic, the Prof recommends 'Pascal's Fire' written by Keith Ward (who is apparently not as easy to read as Dawkins if you haven't done your A levels in a Theory of Knowledge or Philosophy-type subject).

 
At July 26, 2007 5:54 PM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Thanks for the recommendation.

Dawkins was about my level, so I'm not sure how well I'd do with a more difficult text that makes assumptions of prior reading. Dawkins of course reference others (some chapters are pretty much pastiches of others) but he gives adaquete footnotes to help understand it. At no time did I feel lost reading his book.

For a critique of Dawkins I'll send you to the series of articles by esteemed Dr. Clam. I'm much less influenced by the good Dr. on this book, but as always his wit is worth the price of admission.

 
At July 28, 2007 10:10 PM, Blogger Michael Krahn said...

I posted an article on Dawkins at Digital Journal that you might be interested in. The article can be found at:
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/210063/The_Dawkins_Defeat

If you'd like to read more about Dawkins and The God Delusion visit www.michaelkrahn.com/blog/richard-dawkins

 
At July 29, 2007 12:54 AM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Thanks for the links Michael. I've been to your site and left some comments.

I hope you continue to question.

 
At July 30, 2007 9:00 AM, Blogger Dr Clam said...

Don't have any problem with Dawkins 'Prove It!' stance. Do have a problem with his 21st-century bloggish style of ridiculing his opponents rather than trying to understand what they are saying, and the appalling stupidity of many of his arguments. Which I went on about at length, of course. And thanks for da plug!

 
At July 30, 2007 9:10 AM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Great to hear from you Dr. Clam. I'd hoped you'd find your way back here. I'm hoping to write more about Dawkins and I'm counting on you to provide some comments.

 
At July 30, 2007 9:11 AM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

And try not to shoot the message just because you don't like the messenger ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home