Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Is the holiday half empty, or half full?

5 days down, 5 to go.

I just spent 5 minutes looking for my glasses. I was already wearing them.

I have achieved very little in the last 5 days. I have, however, had the chance to go to power yoga almost everyday. This has had the twin effects of:
(a) I feel very relaxed about life in general (not that I was a worrywart to begin with) and;
(b) I have taken to wearing my pyjamas almost 24 hours a day.

Since I have been able to go to the afternoon class of power yoga rather than the evening class, I remain in my PJs all morning. Now there is no sense getting a nice clean set of clothes dirty when I'm only go to wear them for a few hours, is there? Since I'm using dodgy, old tracksuits for PJs I then go to the class in them, with my new PJs in my backpack. After the class I shower and change into my new set. Ready for bed and it's only half past 3 in the arvo! Does life get any better (sadder?) than this. I think not.

I believe that shopping in one's PJs on the way home from the gym is acceptable. It is good preparation for the twilight years.

I shouldn't really undervalue my achievements of the last few days. I did see National Treasure.

The Movie Maven
National Treasure is not a bad action film. It's just not a good one either. It is the Lost in Translation of action movies in that it begins at a certain pace, continues with that pace, and then finishes at that same pace. This is ok for a quirky character piece like Lost in Translation, but is the death of an action movie.

Somebody forgot to tack a climax onto National Treasure. There is no showdown between good/evil, rich/poor, or in this case the short hair/wavy locks of Mr. Cage and Mr. Bean. The first hour did a passable job of shifting gears between first and second as the over-the-top premise is set up and then run with. And so with that done I was waiting for the film to change into high gear. Well I was left waiting as it continued to coast on down to the credits, hardly making any effort at increasing the excitement.

For those of a gentle disposition.

1 Comments:

At March 31, 2005 7:46 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Yes. I would have had no objection to National Treasure, had they remembered to put some action in. And given the premise, I think it called for over-the-top blockbuster action, not suspenseless, time filling chases and the odd tepid bang or pop.

And not that wet, worthless "romance", either. If Cage and Whoevershewas had any less chemistry they'd have been inert.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home