Wednesday, March 16, 2005

The Search for the Truth Continues

I've been watching season 8 of the X-Files, and I can tell you I've been pleasantly surprised. I had been lead to believe that it wasn't so good. But this is not the case. The previous season, the seventh season, struggled a bit. The series really looked like it was wandering around, and frankly the story that opened season 7 tanked. The writing for that story was very self-indulgent, and the story itself was too drawn out. Most of the rest of the season looked expensive, but the stories weren't happening. The nadir was the Lara Croft rip-off one.

But the new direction of season 8 has been great. Especially the additional cast member has brought something new. I was dreading these final two seasons because of the bad press, but actually it looks like the X-Files has got a second wind, at least enough to get it to the finish line.

Bugs, bugs, don't get 'em
Not so with Starship Troopers 2. I don’t know what I was thinking when I was at the video store. I tell myself that it had to be watched sometime. But that time was not now. It lasted 1/2 an hour before the stop button on the remote was pressed. Maybe I can finish it tomorrow. Appallingly bad acting, and it looks like it was filmed on video by a bunch of mates with no idea. At all. About anything. Not even worth FFing.

And with that mention of Film Forensics he segued into a shameless act of self-promotion.

I’ve FFed Battlestar Galactica.
Want to know more?
Commenting guarantees citizenship.

Food, food, get it
The gym has been closed all week due to renovations. Because of this, and a serious lack of self-control at the all you can eat pizza restaurant for lunch on Sunday, followed by a big bowl of very spicy pork cutlet ramen for dinner, as I suspected the 2 kilos were merely misplaced. Back to square ver. 1.0.

4 Comments:

At March 17, 2005 8:53 AM, Blogger Dave said...

Think of Starship Troopers 2 as an extra-long, slightly racier/gorier/dumber episode of The Outer Limits, which it in every way resembles (right down to the utter lack of ambition, poverty of ideas and presence of Richard Burgi).

It was still more interesting to watch than National treasure though.

 
At March 17, 2005 5:34 PM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Please don't say that about National Treasure for it is next on the list. It starts this week, and I'm hoping for dumb but fun. Kind of like Independence Day dumb but fun.

Twenty-four hours later and I still can't bring myself to fire up ST2.

 
At March 18, 2005 7:33 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I'm sorry, but in all good conscience I can't let you do this: National Treasure is NOT a fun movie. It is a dull one.

I imagine the conversation went something like this:

BRUCKHEIMER: (Puts down copy of The Da Vinci Code) HISTORICAL CONSPIRACY BULLSHIT IS HOT RIGHT NOW. LET'S GET ON BOARD THE BANDWAGON. GET ME A SCRIPT BUT DON'T PAY A LOT OF MONEY.

PRODUCER: (Thinks) NOW THAT I'VE BOUGHT THIS SCRIPT, I CAN SAVE MONEY BY HIRING A DIRECTOR WHOSE MOST RECENT SUCCESS WAS THE SOMNAMBULENT AND CLOYING 'THE KID'.

BRUCKHEIMER: (Finishes watching National Treasure, blinking sleep from his eyes) WHERE THE HELL IS MY ACTION MOVIE, YOU RETARDS?

PRODUCER: DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT, J.B. WE'LL JUST EDIT EVERY SINGLE REMOTELY EXCITING SEQUENCE INTO THE PREVIEW TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE AN ACTION MOVIE.

 
At March 18, 2005 7:35 AM, Blogger Dave said...

That said, I can't think of another recent movie that deserves more to be dissected in CSI: Hoyts - er, I mean Film Forensics (apart from Bubba HoTep, which has been done).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home