Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Transformers

Having already taken two hours of my life I was reluctant to give any more time to this movie by posting about it. But as I contributed to the hype I think that I've got a moral duty to say something. If I can save just one life, I've made a difference. Right?

It's bad. The last big movie I can remember that was this bad was Return of the Sith. Or it might have been Mr. & Mrs. Smith? Then before that it was The Planet of the Apes remake. Usually I can find something to take away from the flick that redeems it, so I don't often see a movie that truly disappoints. But with Transformers all I could take away were the SPX, and superb though they were, they were just the sugary coating on a flavorless base.


I won't talk about it anymore now except to repeat - save your money. Maybe like me you heard it was dumb but fun. It's half right. It's just plain dumb.

Maybe I'll do an FF on it, but probably not. It would be one of those FFs that are so time consuming because its hard to forensic it without rewriting the whole thing so that it makes some kind of sense to anyone over the age of 5. That's the job the scriptwriters are paid to do. Paid with my money. Argh!

9 Comments:

At August 30, 2007 7:23 AM, Blogger Dr Clam said...

I empathise with your pain, winstoninabox, and am saddened to hear of your betrayal by the bearded one. No more shall I give ear to his seductive blandishments.

 
At August 30, 2007 8:51 AM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Did you watch this dr clam? If you haven't then spare yourself some pain (unless you like pain that is, then go see it by all means). If you have seen it, then you'll know what I mean.

Spielberg has done this executive producer gig before, and with similar results. He was executive producer on Jurassic Park III and it was the same kind of mess. The only difference with the two films is that Jurassic Park III was made to take the money from dinosaur fans, whereas Transformers was made to take the money from giant robot fans. William H. Macy who was acting in Jurassic Park III said that there was a chair at filming with Spielberg's name on the back, but he never sat in it. Macy said something like, "Who puts a $100 million ship to sea without a captain?" Macy was less than impressed with the lack of professionalism on the shoot.

I'm not a fanboy complaining about the changes the movie made from the Transformers canon. I never owned a Transformers toy and would have seen about 15 minutes of the original cartoon series, and none of the other continuities. I only wanted a movie that made some kind of sense between the money shots of giant robot fu. But it couldn't even to that.

An IMDB search of the writers told me all I needed to know. Recently they have been responsible for inflicting The Island, The Legend of Zorro and Mission: Impossible III. All films that like Transformers had good ideas that were very badly executed. Literally executed. DOA.

I see they'll be writing the upcoming Star Trek XI. Make it not so...

 
At August 31, 2007 10:48 AM, Blogger Killer said...

I wasn't planning to see it anyway- but now I don't worry that I'm missing out :)

 
At August 31, 2007 11:41 AM, Blogger Dr Clam said...

No, I haven't seen it, so you have saved me from an unpleasant experience. I had come across a more-favourable-than-not review a while ago which had piqued my interest.

 
At August 31, 2007 11:42 AM, Blogger Dr Clam said...

No, I haven't seen it, so you have saved me from an unpleasant experience. I had come across a more-favourable-than-not review a while ago which had piqued my interest.

 
At August 31, 2007 1:27 PM, Blogger Marco Parigi said...

If it is worth saying, it is worth saying twice :)

 
At September 10, 2007 9:58 PM, Blogger Polysemous said...

When I told g. what you said and he said 'he was wrong about Mars Attacks'.

10 minutes into it and I jumped that little pirate ship. G. stayed.

I think he was sorry.
He looked sorry.

I was glad I didn't stick it out hoping for it to get better. I haven't changed my mind about Mars Attacks.

 
At September 11, 2007 4:31 PM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Ah, Mars Attacks.

Actually a couple of years ago I watched it on DVD. Enough time had passed that I was wondering if I'd got it wrong. So I determined that I would watch it to the end this time.

Didn't change my opinion. Except now I can say I hated it, and yes, I have watched all of it. Just a bad, bad movie.

 
At September 14, 2007 7:39 AM, Blogger Dr Clam said...

Oh noes, I didn't realise you didn't like "Mars Attacks"!! :(

Now I have to ignore everything your opinion about everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home