Monday, May 01, 2006

Ruminations & Observations

Ok, this new month is off to a flying start for blogging.
One day and one post.
I wonder how many months of my blogging career I've thought that?

This week is Golden Week in Japan. Wednesday, Thursday and Friday are public hoilidays, but many people take off the Monday and Tuesday as well and so have 9 days straight. Not me though. The education of young minds can't rest for those 2 days, so I've got to be at work. However nothing can dim the joy of the 5-day holiday that's just around the corner. And there aren't even classes tomorrow, so I can hardly complain.

In preparation for the 5 days I went to Akihabara on Friday to purchase the game From Russia with Love for the PSP. I'd intended to play for 5 straight days at 10+ hours per day, but apparently I'm being restricted to 1 hour a day by a person (or persons) who shall remain nameless. Still, should be fun being Bond even for only 1 hour.

Speaking of Bond, I've done a short FF on You Only Live Twice. Like the previous one on GoldenEye, it's pretty much for the fans of the series, but neh, FF needs all the promotion it can get.

Saturday was spent Konging. And yes, that is a word. It's a verb that means to act like King Kong. I'd finished the game a while back, but am now replying it to get a sufficiently high score to open up the secret level where (I've heard) you can save Kong from his demise atop the Empire State Building. Hold on little buddy, I'm about 4/5ths of the way there.

But now it's getting tough to scratch up the remaining points. You get the most points as Jack by defeating the monsters with primitave weapons rather than firearms. Unfortunately some dinos laugh at how the foolish human has brought a spear to what is obviously a shotgun fight. And you get the most points as Kong by finishing the fight with the fewest moves in the fastest time. Again unfortuately I can win the fights now, but find it difficult to do so expediently.

Sunday I went to a really tasty gourmet burger joint. Recently I removed an article from a gaijin magazine about the best burger eateries in Tokyo. I've resolved to try them all over the next few months. I hope they maintain the standard of yesterday's fare.

And I found a hardcover version of V for Vendetta, so I can reread that over GW. I've now got 3 books backed up for the 5 days, which at my slow reading pace I know will actually last me for 5 weeks.

And on Sunday in Shibuya I confirmed an observation of mine. I am in fact, at 74kg and 180cm, the undisputed smallest male gaijin in Tokyo (and not in name only). Of course there's the Canadians Allan and Pixie, but Allan has Japanese parents, and Pixie's parentage harkens from the Court of Fairie. It's quite weird to walk around and notice that every other male gaijin stands taller and obviously lifts far too many weights for his own good. Why does Japan attract so many big guys? Or is that I am just small? Maybe I'm shrinking? Certainly when I went back to Australia last year I was surprised at how much bigger the male population seemed. More analysis is required, although without a grant probably not forthcoming.

8 Comments:

At May 02, 2006 2:49 PM, Blogger Dave said...

Are all Japanese holidays named after colours, or what?

 
At May 02, 2006 3:09 PM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Yes, all of them.
Even the ones that aren't.

 
At May 04, 2006 8:33 AM, Blogger Dave said...

So, I expect you're looking forward to next Lime-Green-and-Off-Puce Shininess Day!

 
At May 05, 2006 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey! don't forget those of us gaijin who are carrying (as opposed to lifting) too much weight... uh, speaking of which... sorry i missed the first installment of Let's Challenge Gourmet Burgers! i was scaring people at an onsen... [obligatory Greenpeace/Herman Melville reference deleted]

 
At May 05, 2006 10:28 AM, Blogger Polysemous said...

I saw King Kong on dvd last night but I couldn't keep watching after the girl in palm of hand moment coz I couldn't bear to see Kong die and I'm assuming that's what would have happenned.

He was so cute.

Save him! Save him!

 
At May 07, 2006 10:47 PM, Blogger alixkid said...

I believe you are small my choice, nature and name.
I do remember a conversation.
Alixkid: Hey Winston, you've got thinner since I last saw you.
Winston: You think I'm thin, I say I am not thin enough.

Still, if you've changed your mind, I can mail you some potato chips and cheeseburgers.

 
At May 09, 2006 1:45 AM, Blogger Dave said...

I believe I should point out that the cheesburger comment was plagiarised from me. Bad Alixkid.

On other news, have not fallen prey to Kong or Bond, as GTA has a steely grip on my PSP.....

 
At May 09, 2006 8:13 AM, Blogger winstoninabox said...

Dave! Nice to see you. Didn't know you had a blog, but now that I do, I'll drop in.

As for From Russia with Love...

I recommend it, but with some clarrifications about why.

Since buying it I've read a lot of reviews about it,and they all rank it from poor to middling. I was surprised by this since as I greatly enjoyed playing it, but I can understand why they dislike it.

The game is short compared to many games. On the easiest level of difficulty (3 levels in all) I completed the game in about a day of play. So compared to GTA, this is very short. But I enjoyed it so much that I'm now playing it through again on the middle difficulty, and am still enjoying the extra challenge. So yes the game is not long, but it can survive repeated plays.

And I realized that I really liked finishing the game in a fairly short time. I can devote about 1 hour to gaming a day (if I give up some other similar activity such as DVD or TV), so FRWL can provide about a week's entertainment. I think that's pretty good value.

It also has a kind checkpoint system which means you don't have to restart a level from the beginning; plus savepoints after completeing the level. I loved this, as the main reason I stopped playing GTA was that on failing a mission you lost all your equipment and were charged money for medicals or bail. And then you had to try the mission again. But if you wanted to restart from the last saved point, it was back in your room, so you had to drive across town just to pick up the mission again. That really started to shit me.

Other complaints I've read about FRWL are that the multiplayer is crap (I'll never get to use it), the frame rate is sometimes slow (this is true, especially when rotating the camera), there is sometimes not enough ammo (I thought that this was a FEATURE of the game, in that you had to try to conserve ammo), and that some levels from the PS2 version were never ported to the PSP version (I don't miss what I never had).

In short the game works for me, a casual gamer who wants to enjoy himself for a few hours playing Bond. But I can understand that the hardcore gamer would be disappointed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home